(EXP0SED) How Tukur Mamu got N50m ransom share from terrorist-s who attacked Abuja-Kaduna train – Witness | READ FULL DETAILS
A Department of State Services (DSS) investigator on Tuesday told a federal high court in Abuja that Tukur Mamu, publisher of Desert Herald, received N50 million from ransom paid by families of victims of the 2022 Abuja–Kaduna train attack.
Testifying as the sixth prosecution witness (PW6), the officer said four voice notes extracted from Mamu’s mobile devices after his arrest in Egypt revealed conversations between him and the terrorist group that abducted the passengers.
The recordings, played in open court, included a message from the group’s leader, known as Shugaba, who “appreciated the defendant’s effort” and instructed him to “remove N50 million for his personal use” from a tranche of ransom money. Another voice note featured the group’s spokesperson, Baba Adamu, asking Mamu to procure speakers and a public address system “for their preaching activities.” The witness said Mamu agreed to consider the request and also discussed helping the group build a website.
Searches and seizures
The investigator said that after Mamu was intercepted in Egypt, the defendant contacted his in-law, Mubarak Tinja, and directed him to move cash, vehicles and other valuables from his Kaduna home “to avoid detection by security agents.”
Following his extradition, DSS operatives executed search warrants on his home and office, recovering cash in various currencies and multiple vehicles. Some assets had already been moved in line with Mamu’s instructions, the witness said.
Investigators later traced roughly $300,000 and seven vehicles — including a Toyota Camry “Muscle,” Peugeot 5008, Lexus, Mercedes E350 and a Hyundai — whose documents were tendered and admitted in evidence. Mamu also voluntarily handed over his Samsung tablet and two phones for forensic analysis.
The witness told the court that Mamu admitted communicating with the terror-ists through voice notes and acknowledged directing his in-law to relocate his valuables. He also confirmed owning a pump-action gun found in his home, though its licence had expired months before his arrest.
Voice notes, victims’ statements admitted
The extracted audio files were tendered on compact discs and a flash drive. Mamu’s counsel, Johnson Usman, reserved objections until the final address, and the court admitted the exhibits. Eight statements made by Mamu during interrogation, as well as video recordings, were also admitted.
The witness said two kidnap victims submitted written accounts of their ordeals but refused to testify in person “because of fear and trauma.” Their English and Hausa statements were admitted without objection.
“Lifestyle changed during negotiations”
At the continuation of the trial on Wednesday, the DSS witness said investigators concluded that Mamu “was living way above his means” while serving as a go-between during ransom negotiations in 2022. He said the defendant’s lifestyle “suddenly changed,” noting that Mamu sponsored four family members on a trip to Egypt and bought two new cars during that period.
He also accused Mamu of sidelining the federal government’s negotiation committee led by the chief of defence staff, encouraging terror-ists to deal directly with victims’ families and benefiting financially from ransom payments.
Under cross-examination, the witness said he had never travelled outside Nigeria, had not examined Mamu’s passport and was unaware of any DSS invitation or “wanted” notice issued before Mamu’s arrest. He also confirmed he did not know the defendant’s net worth.
Justice Mohammed Umar adjourned the case to January 29, 2026, for continuation of trial.
Business Day