Gov Bello’s Convoy refused to stop at Military checkpoint, that causes the crisis not assassination attempt — Police.




The Nigeria Police Force, Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Command has said it has begun an investigation into Sunday incident, involving Kogi State Governor, Yahaya Bello’s convoy and Nigerian Navy personnel, saying the convoy’s unruliness was responsible for the clash with the military men.

The FCT police commissioner, Haruna Garba, said on Sunday that the crises followed the refusal of the Governor’s convoy to stop at the military checkpoint, the News Agency of Nigeria reports.

The Police Commissioner also said, “Preliminary investigation showed that the alleged attack was a result of an altercation between the military personnel at a checkpoint and the governor’s motorcade. An investigation revealed that the crisis followed the refusal of the governor’s motorcade to stop at the military checkpoint.”

As earlier  reported by trustbase News that there was an assassination attempt on the governor’life as claimed by his Commissioner of Information Kingsley Fanwo on Sunday.

The commissioner had raised the alarm that the governor’s convoy was attacked en route to Abuja, on Sunday by suspected assassins.

But addressing Newsmen in Abuja, the governor refuted the Commissioner’s claim rather noted that the said incident was a clash involving his convoy and some Nigerian military personnel.

Sources had it that the governor’s convoy was going from Kogi to Abuja. However, the convoy reportedly smashed a naval checkpoint in Banda area of Lokoja, the state capital.

According to the sources, the soldiers reportedly informed their personnel at Abaji who blocked the convoy when the governor got to Abaji.

Other sources said, “Yahaya Bello’s convoy rudely smashed a naval checkpoint in Banda in Lokoja, so the naval personnel now informed thier people in Abaji and they now blocked them.

“They even shot two of governor’s men. So it has been a pandemonium in that location since.